Sunday, March 21, 2010

Fo Shoenfelt

Hello dears. I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW FAST TIME IS GOING. Sarah just left Friday and now I'm expecting Mom and (COUISNS) Lizzie on Wednesday. I am beyond excited to see them and had such a lovely time with Sas, but I feel like I had been expecting them to come for so long but time is whizzing by and I only have 2 months left which sounds like a long time but I can assure you, at the rate things have been going, by the next time I blink I'll have been graduated from SMC and married with kids or cats and living on the moon (or something futuristic and weird to think about, IDK) . Another gauge of how fast time has gone is by looking at the ipod playlist, "Ireland Travels," I created when I first got to Galway. What was at first only about 6 songs (yes, including 'Galway Girl' and banjo beats) to get me in what I thought was an Irish mindset for roadtrips and plane rides is now 100 and something songs that have been recommended by my Irish friends (who in fact don't enjoy listening to Galway girl or banjo beats) or just cool jams I found from t.v commercials (which I think could be a field study in itself for anthropologists). All I can do is continue what I've been doing: absolutely adoring it here while having so much fun roaming through Galway and the country hills talking to cows and not wanting to leave (sorry mam and pap). I've already started looking into doing Graduate school here. I was talking to Tyler yesterday who is in Costa Rica, and it's the same deal with him. It's just so funny to think about 3 months ago when we knew NO ONE here and felt weird and almost like it was freshman year all over again, but even before a month it felt like home and I already didn't want to leave. It's hard to explain. But even being in a pub with strangers who are mostly 20 years older and playing the banjo (at least the demographic of ages 36-90 share my love for banjo beats) feels so comfortable and like you belong there (I can see how that statement can be frightening and alcoholic seeming, but I swear its a healthy love affair between me and this country).

Anyhow, last weekend our program took us to the Aran Islands which was one of the best days filled with bike riding, picnics, stopping every 5 minutes to pet and feed horses, playing on the dunes, laying in the grass, visiting a 2, 0000 year old fort, sitting on the edge of a cliff, speeding downhill, and witnessing an old irish man herd baby cows across a residential neighborhood/ street (I can't tell you how delighted I get when I see things like that, the old man herding cows I mean, the sitting on the edge of the cliff was whatever. Just kidding obviously it ruled.) Lily captured a moment one of the horses and I had and she submitted it to the Arcadia newsletter which won herself 10 euro and the horse and I a spread in the newsletter/ online website. Booya.

No comments:

Post a Comment